Re: RFA: fixing login.launchpad.net

On 12/07/11 00:26, Robert Collins wrote:
> (Thats request for answers :))
> login.launchpad.net is a vhost on login.ubuntu.com, with two key differences:
>  - its visually disturbing (some might say ugly)
>  - it has a more permissive policy for relying parties
>
> While in principle we can land changes into the separate
> canonical-identity-provider tree to update the theme there, that seems
> a bit awkward.
>
> So I'm wondering how we might make it nicer, perhaps get some stats on
> its behaviour, and also make it easier to update.

I think the biggest thing wrong with login.launchpad.net is that it is
confusing to users (other than experts aware of
canonical-identity-provider's mysterious two-headed nature) - People
don't understand that login.launchpad.net isn't actually part of Launchpad.

A supplementary problem that should be considered under the heading of
"fixing login.launchpad.net" is that users who have the misfortune to
have something go wrong with their SSO account seem to have an
absolutely horrible experience getting in contact with someone
responsive who can actually fix things, which is only exacerbated by the
usual "Launchpad" means of help having to say the SSO is actually not
Launchpad.

I do understand the marketing reasons for not forcing the Ubuntu brand
on everyone signing in to Launchpad, but in the eagerness to avoid this,
another source of pain has been created.

Therefore, I think the thing which needs to be fixed is either the SSO
team interacting with users better under the aegis of the Launchpad
branch, or the SSO should stop masquerading as part of Launchpad.

Max.