Re: Oneiric vs Rabbit

On Sep 12, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Robert Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I would expect: ./setup.py sdist upload --signed
>>> and in lp make a 'release' and upload the files there as well. I
>>> believe sinzui has some automation around this, or you can use the
>>> stuff in lp-tools too.
>>>
>>> (there is more claimed on https://dev.launchpad.net/ReleaseChecklist
>>> but it seems like overkill to me :) - I think we should simplify
>>> things as much as possible).
>>
>> Not releasing a Python package on PyPI seems kinda like not releasing.  Maybe I'm the odd one out in that perception.
>
> setup.py sdist upload --signed *creates* a PyPI release. Of course our
> python packages should be on PyPI!

Ah ok cool.  I was pretty sure PyPI needed a "register" in there (./setup.py sdist register upload).  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I re-looked at https://dev.launchpad.net/ReleaseChecklist .  I think this is mostly a good process and a good set of expectations.  In particular, I think a NEWS.txt file is good practice. I'd only change it in two ways.

- Only produce sdists, not eggs.  It sounds like you agree with this.
- Make no "announcements" requirements.

I'm happy to make these changes if there is consensus.  Similarly, if there is consensus, let's remind everyone to follow the advice in the document.

Gary