making it easier to determine if an instance has what it needs to work

Recently we've had a couple of changes that were tricky - changing
scripts to run on ackee, and moving to pgbouncer. Much of the
trickiness was knowing if a given script/service would work without
actually trying.

A while back benji wrote a smoke-tester that reports on librarian
access, but only some instances need all the librarian ports (e.g.
some are not trusted with private librarian ports, so having that
access would be bad).

Bug 760079 talks about a app server specific checker, but thinking
about this more perhaps we should bake into all our services and
scripts a 'dependency checker'.

E.g.
oops-prune --check-environment
would:
 - check it has the needed DB access
 - and $any $other $needed firewall holes
in a non-destructive way.

likewise, appservers, codehosting, poppy and so forth.

The idea being to remove the current human encoding of 'thing X needs
resource Y' and turn it into something that we can a) plug into nagios
and b) use when we are reconfiguring things in the datacentre.

What do you think?

-Rob

Follow ups