Re: making it easier to determine if an instance has what it needs to work

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 1:28 AM, Stuart Bishop
<stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Robert Collins
> <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> What do you think?
>
> Adding it as a command line argument to the scripts and services means
> it can only be run once the code has been updated and the service
> likely down.

Not at all, we can deploy new codelines to a machine without shutting
down services or pivoting the active link - we do this all the time.

> If we could encode these dependencies in a standalone script (probably
> generated or reading a datafile), then we could run it from the
> relevant account before we start a deploy. Or maybe we just push out
> the whole tree to a test location on the target server, run the smoke
> test as the target user, and if successful start the deploy. But
> pushing out whole trees seems rather cumbersome.

A standalone script reading a data file would have more wiggle room to
skew than I'd like :) But perhaps it is better.

-Rob