Re: performance tuesday: better batches are -go-

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-09-21 15:25, Robert Collins wrote:
>
>> Not me - Abel. He has been slaving hard over the last few weeks to
>> bring together StormRangeFactory - so that batches can use value range
>> contraints rather than offsets, which postgresql can often answer much
>> more efficiently.
>>
>> I've written about this before I think, and I know you've done a
>> presentation on it @ the epic ;)
>
> Hence my interest!  Looking forward to the change, but had no reasonable way
> to be certain whether your announcement was really related.
>
> Does this landing activate the change-over to value-range constraints? I had
> been seeing the “memo” URL args and assumed they were related.

There were infrastructure changes needed in lazr.batching - they
brought in the memo concept, and a range factory whose memos are
merely offset's into the query. The StormRangeFactory is used to
convert a specific batch from the default (memo's that are offsets)
into the sexy (memo's that are endpoint markers).

-Rob