Re: Should team membership requests expire?

On 2011-10-13 02:53, Robert Collins wrote:

On the 'should we expire' side - We have a guiding principle that
Launchpad is the custodian of peoples data, not the owner. A mandatory
fixed expiry date seems (to me) to be in tension with that. As Nigel
says though, a configurable setting might be considered a feature.

I don't see that tension here. As with an incomplete bug report (which we expire in 60 days) or a pending translations upload (which we delete eventually), a membership request is not a particular person's data. People produced it, but it's meaningless without continuation by whoever is in charge. Approval or rejection is effectively consumption of the data, not alteration.

A fixed expiry period states that you need to act on a request within a given time if you want to prove that there's still an interested human in charge at all. If there isn't, it's not people's data. The request is effectively un-owned wastepaper; at best it deserves to be renewed. We might as well say loudly and clearly that Launchpad will see it that way after a given period.

Note that an expiry mechanism intended to deal with this corrupt data
would be more complex than one that has good data, so I think an
expiry system is a different work item to fixing the corrupt data (and
the cause of the corruption).

This is something I haven't looked into; in what ways is it more complex?

(Having a quick look at Curtis' message in this thread…

…There's some SQL there that looks like it wouldn't even notice a difference between the corrupt data and regular ignored requests. I'll follow up there with my questions.)

Jeroen