Re: Should team membership requests expire?

On 10/12/2011 10:29 PM, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> On 2011-10-13 03:14, curtis Hovey wrote:
>
>> A similar fix was made for answer contacts a few months ago. The fix is
>> almost identical to the script I have used to fix vestigial data. I am
>> attaching my script
>
> This looks suspiciously like a complete solution to the problem of the
> broken membership requests.  Is it meant to be?
>
> Also, the part for team membership requests/invitations looks very
> simple.  If I wanted expiry for old requests, I'd just replace the
> "where" conditions pertaining to account status with one on the
> record's age.
>
> But Robert tells us that the problematic team membership records are
> harder to clean up than regular old requests.
>
> What am I missing?
When a team or person is merged membership requests should be deleted.
They were not because merge often timedout. There is a large category of
bad data left behind in merges, some maybe fixed in the code, but the
data is still in the db. When you see a  merged user in a portlet, or is
a feedback request, you can be certain it is bad data.

The expiration membership request issue described here is a work around
for for another defect in Lp. We need to fix the defect instead of
adding another feature.  It is easier to fix the defect with a garbo job
than it is to add new tests for a new feature. Last year a user
requested a membership and merged profiles in the same day. Both the old
and the new profile had the same display name. The team admin could not
tell them apart.  Lp generated a 404 for one link and a proper page for
the other.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui