Re: Should team membership requests expire?

On 10/18/2011 10:15 AM, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
> On 2011-10-17 21:07, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
>
>> This is an affirmation that I've seen mentioned a couple of time
>> recently, but I cannot assert his truth value. In my understanding, this
>> is still a myth. Launchpad users always have a preferred email address.
>> Teams might not have one, as person records that we imported but nobody
>> "activated". But as soon as a user "logs in" Launchpad, and thus become
>> a user, they have a preferred address.
>
> As I recall there were two separate problems: one was with code that
> wasn't prepared to accept teams as persons.  The other was with cases
> where a preferred email address is disabled.
>
> How that could happen, I don't remember.  But if an email address can
> be invalidated, deleted, or disabled, what's to say there will always
> be a preferred email address to replace it?
The status of the preferred email address is set to NEW when the user
deactivates himself or an admin suspends a user. There were many cases
in the past where suspended users were set back to active, but that does
not restore the email address. This lead to several insane cases where
the user could log in, but the profile was crippled. The correct path to
restore the profile was to set the account status is deactivated to
signal that the user can login and the profile restored.

The email restoration process is ambiguous since Lp lost login/SSO. The
reset password process does not exist. Lp implicitly chooses a preferred
email address for deactivated/unactivated profiles during Lp's
confirmation that the user authenticated.

Teams are not deactivatable. Users delete them through a merge action
(merge with ~registry). Email addresses are deleted during a merge.
Teams may only have two email addresses, one to contact the team and one
for a mailing list. Extra email address are deleted when the contact
address is set. If the contact address is the mailing list address, the
team can only have the one email address.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui