Re: Restarting the package importer

On 18/10/11 01:04, Martin Packman wrote:
> As part of the release process on Thursday, I stopped the package
> importer on jubany. In order to restart it, James Westby told me we
> needed to wait for the branch-distro script to finish running.
>
> However, that script resulted in an error, which William Grant thought
> needed handling by the Bazaar team. No one seems to be able to tell me
> what, if anything, needs fixing, and the log from the script isn't
> informative either.

Some clarification: the log we have is from a branch-distro.py --check
run. I don't believe we have a log from the initial run which made the
changes. Finding that log (mbarnett might have it, but I don't think it
exists) would shed some light on some of the later questions.

> There are a number of warnings complaining about the stacking of the
> new and/or old branch, in the form:
>
> 2011-10-14 11:14:55 DEBUG   Checking
> ~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/oneiric/etckeeper/oneiric
> 2011-10-14 11:14:55 WARNING New branch at
> lp-internal:///~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/etckeeper/precise is
> stacked on /+branch-id/461905, should be unstacked.
> 2011-10-14 11:14:55 WARNING Old branch at
> lp-internal:///~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/oneiric/etckeeper/oneiric is
> not stacked, should be stacked on
> /~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/etckeeper/precise
> 2011-10-14 11:14:55 WARNING Repository at
> lp-internal:///~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/oneiric/etckeeper/oneiric has
> 71 revisions.
>
> Then the log ends abruptly without further details at:
>
> 2011-10-14 11:57:12 DEBUG   Checking
> ~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/oneiric/libskinlf-java/oneiric
> 2011-10-14 11:57:12 ERROR   Check failed

That confused me at first too, but it turns out that that just means
some of the previous checks failed -- the ERROR is because there were
earlier WARNINGs.

> Colin Watson also ran into an issue with syncpackage, but assures me
> that's completely unrelated, and is now fixed.

I fixed that on Saturday, and it's entirely unrelated.

> So, I guess what I need to know is:
>
> * Did all the packages that branch-distro needed to touch get touched?

I believe so.

> * Are the hundred or so stacking warnings something that needs acting on?

It's not essential, but I believe that we're setting ourselves up for
some pain and confusion in a couple of years if we don't. Also, the fact
that the initial branch-distro run didn't make the changes also suggests
that there might be something wrong with those branches.

> * Who should I be asking? Launchpad tells me Bazaar and Bazaar tells
> me Launchpad.

That's pretty much undefined now. The Launchpad Code team has been
abolished, and all former Code team members except one have left. So
this would fall to the maintenance squads, which is not me, and I'm not
sure how much idea they have about this script.

Since the restructure in January, Bazaar and Platform and IS have been
pretty good about picking up the slack that we are leaving that is
relevant to them, so I suggested that Bazaar might be better placed to
handle this in a reasonably timely manner.

> * Is there any reason the package importer shouldn't be restarted?

I don't know. The importer will work, but it will create a somewhat
unpleasant mess of stacking that may bite us later on, and we've no idea
why branch-distro failed to correct things.