Re: Reviewer question about style of new objects in JavaScript

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11-10-28 06:00 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>
>> - knowing the layers is important, but having a direct
>> implementation isn't the best way to make sure folk know whats
>> under the hood (they may end up just avoiding that code).
>
> I wasn't arguing that a direct implementation is a good way to make
> sure folk know what's under the hood.  I was arguing that a direct
> implementation should not be hard to read.  Everyone already knows, or
> should know, what's under the hood, because it's actually the
> dashboard, so to speak.

Yes, I know you were not arguing that (I did not ascribe such an
argument to you); I was merely my support for folk knowing the layers,
while excluding one possible approach for helping/ensuring folk know
the layers. I did this for clarity, because I didn't want anyone to
think I was arguing *for* having a particular thing showing off the
internals.

I also agree that a direct implementation should not be hard to read -
if it is, and it has to be - well that would say something a bit
undesirable about the nature of the plumbing we're dealing with.

-Rob