Re: Bug list ordering

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Huw Wilkins <huw.wilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The question is, do we retain bug heat as the default order or is there
> something better? The options are:
>  - Bug number (in practice this is essentially the same thing as bug age)
>  - Title (alphabetised list of bugs)
>  - Importance (good for showing bugs that often should be worked on first)
>  - Status (good for showing bugs that are new or need triaging, depending on
> which status we listed first)
>  - Bug heat (good for showing bugs that have recent activity or whatever it
> is that bug heat actually signifies)
>
> Helmets on, bikeshedders, which do you think?

I'm +1 on removing the special casing of the landing page - but
perhaps we should check /why/ it exists.

For the sort, I think it depends on the user whats most useful.

For someone looking for a bug that affects them, heat is probably good.

For someone looking for a bug to work ok, a combined
needs-triage-then-priority sort (which we don't currently have, but I
would like us to have ;)) is probably best.

And I'm sure there are other cases... I don't have a solid
recommendation, other than to note that /probably/ we get more visits
to the front page of a bug tracker from non-developers than from
developers (even if the rate of visits per person is much lower, there
are many more users than developers, of any healthy project).

-Rob