Re: Bug list ordering

On 18 November 2011 19:21, Vincent Ladeuil <v.ladeuil+lp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>    > Across Launchpad generally closed bugs are very hard to find, but
>    > recently closed bugs are often very interesting.
>
>    > I wish we would use some metrics to infer what people are actually
>    > trying to do.  Which bug sort orders are most common?  Which portal
>    > links do they click?  I wonder if we can make the bugs home page
>    > remember what the user wants to see, then consider making the most
>    > popular ones the default.

After writing that, in bug 888756 I looked at the query logs and saw
only 1% of requests for bug lists are for anything other than the
first page.  Of course what conclusions you ought to draw is another
question.

> The number of times a bug *page* is requested sounds like another good
> source to establish which bugs are the most interesting ones.
>
> Reading your mail made me realize I very often want to reload a bug page
> mentioned recently (days/weeks) and my browser history reflects only
> *my* usage (sometimes people are talking about bugs I've never visited
> yet). In practice, I'm often interested in finding bugs people have
> recently commented on or even have been referred to in IRC discussions
> (and various bots query the bug pages so that will be taken into
> account).

I think the recently-touched bugs are probably the most interesting
and that would in many contexts be a good default sort order, which
would handle the "I recently touched it" or "someone recently updated
it" cases.

Counting how many times a page has been read would be interesting.
Maybe architecturally a bit nontrivial as it requires writing
something from an otherwise readonly request; on the other hand it
doesn't have to be 100% precise or up to date so there may be options.
 Stackexchange use this to identify interesting questions.

--
Martin