Re: Hiding comments from most Launchpad users

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:52 AM, Matthew Revell
<matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28 November 2011 19:02, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Julian Edwards
>> <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a more general problem across Launchpad and I see requests for "who
>>> did this?" all the time.  We should start recording this data in a generic
>>> fashion as soon as possible and worry about adding an interface to view it
>>> later.  It probably needs a new audit table where we can store generic actions
>>
>>                                                     s/table/service/
>>
>>> and link them to a Person.
>>
>> Why a service? Because if its generic there is no need for it to be
>> part of LP core; being separate will allow reuse in e.g. SSO, Software
>> Centre Agent, Ratings and Reviews, .... Being a separate service also
>> allows for restricted restricted access to its DB, if we choose - to
>> allow a higher standard of security around the audit trail[s].
>
> This service would provide fodder for activity walls, too, right?

There are some parallels. I'm not sure the constraints are close
enough to want to join the two things. Audit trails will have a hard
'no rewriting history' requirement (with discussion points around
'what do show if a related object is renamed or deleted'). Activity
walls have a much more mutable nature: hide things that aren't
interesting, show things that interest the user, and evolve to match
the users desires. Its possible that an audit trail could pun as the
normalised datastore for walls/notifications with a denormalised view
layered on top. Theres also a difference - e.g. when reviewers are
added to a merge proposal. the new reviewer is told directly, the
project knows the reviewer was added, which is two separate views on a
single action.

Its certainly something to bear in mind anyhow :)

-Rob