Re: confusion about status of launchpad-buildd, plus buildbot updates

On 12/09/2011 01:49 PM, Benji York wrote:
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Friday 09 December 2011 12:34:09 Gary Poster wrote:
My tentative conclusions:
- launchpad-buildd is supposed to be installed everywhere, but it is not.
- relatedly, it is not part of the launchpad-dependencies metapackage
(confirmed
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-committers/meta-lp-deps/trunk/view/he
ad:/debian/control
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Elaunchpad-committers/meta-lp-deps/trunk/vie
w/head:/debian/control>  ) but it should be.
- if the tests don't find launchpad-buildd, they cope, either by hiding
the tests or by going down some code path.
The tests rely on the python-lpbuildd package, launchpad-buildd is what gets
installed on the actual slaves IIRC.

Julian could not confirm these conclusions.  Could Martin, William, or
someone else confirm?  If we know what needs to be done, we can find
someone to do it.
launchpad-buildd does not need to be installed, python-lpbuildd does.  Does
this fit with your observations at all?
I had launchpad-buildd 110-0~48 installed and got these failures:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/763881/

When I upgraded launchpad-buildd to 111-0~49 the tests passed.  When I
then uninstalled launchpad-buildd the tests continued to pass.

So it would seem that either 110-0~48 was bad or my system was in a bad
state that was cured by uninstalling or installing launchpad-buildd.

The 110-0~48 version seems to not be available any longer so I can't
reinstall it to see if the test failures return.

OK, I'm not worrying about this any longer, other than to see if we can implement Robert's plan to get buildbot automatically updated.

The last thing I'll note about this is that thedac reports that pigeonpea abnd pilinut have python-lpbuildd 100~0.IS.10.04 while my local lxc has 111-0~49~lucid1. Maybe that discrepancy is related. I'm not bothering with it.

Thanks all.

Gary