Re: Need product input on bug #896539

On 12 December 2011 21:57, Robert Collins <robert.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Francis J. Lacoste
> <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now, the question is do we want to introduce 'bug task age' in addition
> > to 'bug age' in the list of supported options. (It's trivial to do, but
> > it might be confusing to users, because our bug data model is complex.)
>
> Abstractions leak. If exposing our data model confuses users, that
> suggests there is something wrong with the data model :)
>
> Perhaps we should be dropping the field instead (still audit for it,
> but not model it).
>
> That said, personally, I think 'task age' (not 'bug task age') is
> clearly different to 'bug age'. In the context of the IssueTracker
> discussions, I think tasks have a room for greater prominence.

Strictly speaking, I don't see this bug as a regression:

 * You can still get that sort order from the advanced search
 * Bug 896539 does not clearly request a sort order of bug task age;
I've asked Michael, the reporter, to clarify if that's really what he
wants or if sorting by bug number is sufficient.
 * We designed it this way; perhaps we wouldn't do the same again.

If we were having this discussion in the first couple of weeks of
development, I'd happily say we should tackle it as part of the
feature. However, there remain five "In progress" Critical bugs on
this feature and we have roughly four days to tackle them and
introduce Huw's tweaks to the layout.

I'm not convinced that, in practice, there are enough bugs where a
particular bug task is added so much later than the bug date creation
to warrant potentially pushing the beta into next week.

Having said that, I'd be happy if we downgraded this to a High bug and
Orange tackled it as one of the first things they looked at after the
Criticals. If they don't get to it and it really does cause a problem,
I think it'd be a great candidate for escalation. Either way, I don't
think it should delay completion of the feature.

I think we could avoid confusion by referring to "Date added", rather
than "Bug task age", and using some pop-up help to clarify what we
mean. "Bug task" is, AFAIK, a term we use nowhere in the web UI.

I'll wait a reasonable time, to allow for comments, before I change
the bug importance.

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager