Re: idea: cheap tweak to karma to reduce blueprints imbalance

On 02/14/2012 06:32 PM, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Robert Collins
> <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> .... include blueprints and bugs in the same bucket for karma
>> normalisation. (On the basis that blueprints aren't distinctly more
>> valuable than bug reports to a project).
>>
>> I realise this ignores the bigger questions around karma, but it seems
>> like a cheapish thing to me.
>
> There is also a constant you can change to cap the rebalancing factor.
> Just lower that value until it looks fair. Set it to 1 to turn off
> rebalancing entirely.

I favour this. This will make blueprints less of a mess and possibly
ensure that the user wrote most of the code has a higher ranking in his
project than the one user who asked a question.

> We should probably stop rebalancing every day anyway - we now have
> several years of data and usage patterns settling down, so the
> rebalancing factors shouldn't be jumping around much. Just take todays
> rebalancing factors, multiply the raw event scores by its category's
> factor and turn off the rebalancing code. We could rebalance
> occasionally if usage patterns change dramatically, but I don't think
> daily rebalancing is helpful now.

Weekly or monthly would be great. I suspect monthly might show a spike
near UDSes if we don't change the rebalancing factor.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui