Re: disabling longpoll

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we should disable longpoll; its not finished, noone is working
> on it, and it causes semi-regular confusion for folk in the LP team
> when they cannot use code.launchpad.net.
>
> Any objections? [I'm not proposing removing the code yet].

I'm worried that if we disable it, then we've taken the first step to
removing it, whether we actually remove it now or not.

I'm not personally plagued by the issues enough to be bothered by it
in its current form.  AIUI, the current issue are connection starving
for users of many tabs and some little js snafus we had in the combo
loader migration. That latter should be fixed now and no longer an
issue. If there are remaining js issues, I assure you we'll catch them
all before we leave maintenance. These are not hard things to track
down and fix, and in fact, disabling it will only hide the issues from
us.

If these are indeed the only issues, I don't think it's serious enough
to disable longpoll now and would rather we as lp devs live with it a
bit until we can get more attention to finish longpoll completely.

It feels to me like we might as well agree to never have polling from
the browser if we disable it now. That is a more serious issue to me
than the few issues we've bumped up against. Maybe I'm being too
pessimistic about the feature's chances if we turn it off, but I'd
prefer we erred on the side of completing the work, rather than losing
the work.

Cheers,
deryck

--