Re: disabling longpoll

On 12-02-16 07:45 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Ian Booth <ian.booth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We've spent time developing it and it provides very much wanted
>> functionality. I do hope that "disable" doesn't mean turn it off and
>> delete in a few months once everyone forgets about it. There's already a
>> large sunk cost in getting it this far, how much work is required to get
>> it over the line? Is that something the maintenance squad could pick up?
>
> The LEP links to the bugs, you can have a read and make an assessment.

I can't find the LEP, but my recollection is that there is only one big
problem which is user self-inflicted and thus could probably be marked
Won't fix.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/906482

The root issue is that any longpolling from JS makes it easy to get in
the per-host (or even total) browser connection limits as each tab you
have open has a long-standing open connection with the server.

For example, Firefox maximum connection limits is 24. So after opening
24 tabs with a longpoll connection, the web should fail permenently for
you, until you free those up.

So either we accept that users won't be able to open multiple tabs
anymore, or we drop the whole longpoll concepts altogether.

Cheers

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx