Re: disabling longpoll

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Deryck Hodge
> <deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm worried that if we disable it, then we've taken the first step to
>> removing it, whether we actually remove it now or not.
>>
>> I'm not personally plagued by the issues enough to be bothered by it
>> in its current form.  AIUI, the current issue are connection starving
>> for users of many tabs and some little js snafus we had in the combo
>> loader migration. That latter should be fixed now and no longer an
>> issue. If there are remaining js issues, I assure you we'll catch them
>> all before we leave maintenance. These are not hard things to track
>> down and fix, and in fact, disabling it will only hide the issues from
>> us.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bugs?field.tag=longpoll
> 3 criticals
> 4 highs (one of which can probably be shelved)
>
>> If these are indeed the only issues, I don't think it's serious enough
>> to disable longpoll now and would rather we as lp devs live with it a
>> bit until we can get more attention to finish longpoll completely.
>>
>> It feels to me like we might as well agree to never have polling from
>> the browser if we disable it now. That is a more serious issue to me
>> than the few issues we've bumped up against. Maybe I'm being too
>> pessimistic about the feature's chances if we turn it off, but I'd
>> prefer we erred on the side of completing the work, rather than losing
>> the work.
>
> Then we *must* resource it. It *is* causing issues - just having three
> tabs open is enough to make other code.lp.net pages load slower (due
> to less concurrent requests). Noticable issues amongst 25 people is
> pretty much a guarantee of disaster amongst thousands.
>
> Please understand, I was and am a huge proponent of the project; but
> its currently unfinished inventory; I find it hard to reconcile our
> desire to only released polished work and where we are at with this.

It's not released, though.  Only lp devs see it.  Most of you heavy
tab-using zealots have been sufficiently afflicted and know better
now. :)  Personally, I think it's good for you.  Multi-tasking is a
lie, you 300 tab loving dev you. ;)

But seriously, it's a problem that has limited impact (in terms of who
it is affecting), and once you know, you can work around it.

I view it as a work in progress that isn't complete.  Not as stalled work.

Even if you disagree, I think there's a whole spectrum between "we
*must* resource it *now*" or "we *must* disable it *now*".  I guess
I'm arguing for a discussion about how to resource and that it's
better enabled than disabled until we can resource it. But I take your
points that it's incomplete and not ready for release. I agree on
that.

Cheers,
deryck

--