Re: disabling longpoll

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are two major reasons to disable this (irrespective of it being
> worked on):
>  - it is at best breakeven for us today, not yet a benefit. reduces
> dev friction, increases ops friction. Increases dev confusion.
>  - we are seeing a different Launchpad to our users - and not a
> difference like our debug tools, but a difference in terms of features
> and usability.

I just don't think it's that large a price to pay for keeping the
feature around for us to remind us it exists and needs polish. Keeping
it enabled is a better signal IMHO, a commitment to fixing it and
releasing it, rather than hiding it away by disabling it.  This is the
beauty of feature flags to me, and I think we devs can tolerate some
minor pain if it means we end up with a better feature in the end.

However, I don't imagine I'm going to get you to come over to my point
of view. :)

This is the sort of thing you and Francis normally make the call on,
so I'll get out of the way of that call. I would ask that we at least
keep it around until my squad is finished with our js combo loader
work, so that any issues with MPs and longpoll from our changes will
have a better chance of being noticed by all LP devs.  After we're
done and fully on a combo loader, if you guys would like to pursue
disabling longpoll, I'll keep quiet then.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge