Re: longpoll - refining the service, subscribe-to-anything/private objects

Hi Robert,

|--==> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:50:50 +1300, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

  [...]
  RC> Firstly, I think the shared workers approach is good - its a direct
  RC> action on the thing we're having problems with rather than going
  RC> around the edge and hoping. William has noted some alternate ways we
  RC> could support the same facility on Firefox in the interim in the bug
  RC> in question.

I agree it sounds like a nice approach, though it remains to be seen how
robust is it in practice and if there are sites implementing such
strategy in production already (just making the devil's advocate here).

Out of curiosity, which are the ways to achieve this in Firefox
specifically?

  [...]
  RC> concrete object which can be seen) more awkward. I think in the
  RC> absence of a simple plan we need to just document how we will assign
  RC> routing keys (and thus subscriptions) to virtual objects (such as
  RC> 'launchpads bugs', or a specific bug search) and accept that web pages
  RC> showing those objects will fire off an AJAX request after being told
  RC> about the update.

We indeed use the same pattern in Landscape for some use cases, for
pretty much the same security/visibility reasons.

Cheers,

Free