Re: disabling longpoll

H Robert,

|--==> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 07:25:56 +1300, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

  [...]
  RC> Not at all: there are solutions to the issue (note that the wildcard
  RC> approach just defers the problem - there is as you note a maximum
  RC> connection limit as well, and we don't want to reach that - OTOH we
  RC> don't need to aim for perfection). We should study what heavy ajax
  RC> apps like twitter, facebook and gmail do.

Not sure this was already checked, but I looked at Facebook. At least on
Chromium they seem to use long-polling for the first 7 tabs, using
different sub-domains for each connection (apparently predictable, like
0-50.channel.facebook.com for the first tab, 1-50 for the second
etc.). On the 8th tab they fall back to plain polling (still using
different sub-domains, with the same naming pattern).

I didn't investigate whether they also set different poll intervals for
the >7 tabs (e.g. the 8th tab polls every minute, the 9th tab every 2
minutes, the 10th every 4 etc) , but they are noticeably slower to
update than the first 7 tabs.

Cheers,

Free