Re: Derived distributions of Ubuntu development milestones

On Monday 27 Feb 2012 18:53:25 Timothy Chavez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The CE Infrastructure team would like to use derived distributions to
> create snapshots of each Ubuntu development milestone starting with
> Precise Beta1 (if possible).  These snapshots would be used by our
> engineering teams to build "stable" project images while the release,
> itself, is still being developed.
>
> As I understand it, our team would be one of the users of derived
> distributions (the feature is currently being used to derive Ubuntu from
> Debian, no?) > and that carries a bit of risk with it, but I think I'm
> okay with that.  Even if we can't use it for Beta1, this seems to be a
> good long term solution.

It is derived indeed and there's not a great deal of risk.  We always intended
derivations to be snapshot-capable.

> If you think this is a legitimate and even plausible use of this
> feature, let us know, we'd be happy to beta test :)  Thanks!
>
> -tim

It sounds like a great usage to me.  Some questions:

 * Are you snapshotting all of Ubuntu or just main?  This will affect
librarian space which is tight at the moment until the new storage comes in.
 * Are you wanting to rebuild?  It'd be a cool rebuild test as I've wanted to
use DDs for that for a while, but you'd need to coordinate with Distro to
avoid swamping the build farm with two at the same time.
 * Do you need a published archive? (we currently publish derivations on a
separate machine but nobody used this in anger yet)