Re: Derived distributions of Ubuntu development milestones

On 02/28/2012 09:12 AM, Julian Edwards wrote:
On Monday 27 Feb 2012 18:53:25 Timothy Chavez wrote:
Hello,

The CE Infrastructure team would like to use derived distributions to
create snapshots of each Ubuntu development milestone starting with
Precise Beta1 (if possible).  These snapshots would be used by our
engineering teams to build "stable" project images while the release,
itself, is still being developed.

As I understand it, our team would be one of the users of derived
distributions (the feature is currently being used to derive Ubuntu from
Debian, no?)>  and that carries a bit of risk with it, but I think I'm
okay with that.  Even if we can't use it for Beta1, this seems to be a
good long term solution.

It is derived indeed and there's not a great deal of risk.  We always intended
derivations to be snapshot-capable.

If you think this is a legitimate and even plausible use of this
feature, let us know, we'd be happy to beta test :)  Thanks!

-tim

It sounds like a great usage to me.  Some questions:

  * Are you snapshotting all of Ubuntu or just main?  This will affect
librarian space which is tight at the moment until the new storage comes in.

We need all of Ubuntu. There may be commercial projects that pull in packages from Universe, but even if there is not, there appears to be a Universe dependency on elilo for the debian installer, so without Universe, we have to exclude debian installer from these images. That's less than ideal :)

Also, I don't think it helps, but this could be a "rolling snapshot". Once Beta2 comes out, the Beta1 snapshot could be refreshed. No need to carry a separate Beta1 and a Beta2 snapshot.

We have a space constraint as well which is why I'm looking for an alternative solution to reprepro'ing all of Ubuntu onto cesg.canonical.com :)

  * Are you wanting to rebuild?  It'd be a cool rebuild test as I've wanted to
use DDs for that for a while, but you'd need to coordinate with Distro to
avoid swamping the build farm with two at the same time.

I don't think a re-build would be necessary. Just a copy of the archive at R-1 or R-2 of the Development Milestone.

  * Do you need a published archive? (we currently publish derivations on a
separate machine but nobody used this in anger yet)

Yep. Project engineers need to point at this location in their live-buid configuration in place of archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/.