Re: notifications - an implementation straw man (warning explicit discussion of services follows)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't understand this bit.  We already use a template system to
> substitute these phrases.  Why would we get rid of it and then create
> a new one?

We have a macro system today, hardly a template system. (Constrast
with tal / handlebars etc). It isn't capable of taking one event and
generically rendering appropriate content for the example given
(directly requested to review vs subscribed to the mp and gets told
when someone is requested to review it). Fixing the problem we have
that leads to multiple notifications is IMNSHO best tackled by having
just one notification and pushing customisation down into the
template.

I'm suggesting that the minimal viable approach is to give up the
customisation in the short term. We could use e.g. handlebars as a
better template system in future, when we're ready to implement
templates.

-Rob