Re: Colouring kinds of information?

On 03/03/12 03:51, curtis Hovey wrote:
On 03/02/2012 11:38 AM, Matthew Revell wrote:
I can see the value of William's argument but I'm worried about
injecting new meanings into colours that we already use elsewhere. I'm
sure Huw will be happy to help come up with an answer.
Exactly. Huw makes the decision.

The way we usually use colours in Launchpad is to signify progression or importance. The other reason we use colour is for recognition of common elements. Different kinds of information don't necessarily deserve their own colours unless we want to reinforce one of the previous patterns.

The important distinction here is between public and private data and we do that already by showing privacy banners.

The colours won't tell the whole story to most users who will only see one or two statuses and the rest will only be visible to a low number of users.

We might consider using colours is if we find users are having trouble distinguishing between data in different types of policies, but I'm not sure just colouring the name of the policy would be enough.

Cheers,

Huw