Re: Launchpad on Precise

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Deryck Hodge
<deryck.hodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sinzui also helped me on IRC, by suggesting I get the postgres 8.4
> packages in oneiric directly. I've done this and am at least moving
> forward again. Still tracking down individual packages to get
> completly running, but at least I'm going again.

If it makes things easier for Precise users, you can switch to
PostgreSQL 9.1 now. The test suite was passing fine, and assuming in
place migration tests on staging go smoothly, we will be able to
create a timeline for switching everything over (which may be lengthy
or really fast depending on if we decide to switch before or after the
Precise release - I suspect May myself).

It will take someone with better packaging foo than me to make
launchpad-database-dependencies not care which of 8.4 or 9.1 is
installed, or just use 8.4 for < Precise and 9.1 for Precise.

Migration docs aren't written yet, but the process for most devs would
simply be to fully remove 8.4 or 'pg_dropcluster 8.4 main' if you want
8.4 to remain installed, install 9.1 (creating the 'main' cluster on
port 5432) and run the launchpad-database-setup utility.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>