Re: New disclosure mockup - sharing picker

Hi Ian,

On 14 March 2012 07:06, Ian Booth <ian.booth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Purple has been trying to decide the best way to finish the sharing
> picker and allow people to select one of the 3 sharing permissions for
> each information type rather than just All/Nothing using a checkbox. So
> I've started some mockups.
>
> There's a new version of the disclosure mockup pushed to lp and running
> at http://people.canonical.com/~ianb/disclosure

Thanks for the mock-up.

> I've updated the original mockup codebase to make it work with our post
> Budapest javascript, reworked the sharing table to resemble and operate
> like what's on qastaging, and integrated in a modified version of the
> sharing picker.
>
> The sharing picker has had some surgery to remove the checkboxes and
> allow selection of a one of the sharing permissions for each information
> type. The current version that's up now uses radio buttons, with hover
> text for each showing a description of what the All/Some/Nothing means.

Thanks for describing the alternatives. I think the radio buttons work
and I'm not sure it would be a good use of time to experiment further.

There are some things that still concern me a little:

 * "Some": I think the "Some" option is unclear. What we mean here is
"Specific previously selected items" but I guess that's too long. Dan
tells me user research subjects didn't have trouble with "Some" but I
can see it coming back to bite us.
 * There remain a few different ways to edit what is shared with a
team or individual but I can live with that if it means we don't have
to spend too much longer on the +manage-sharing page.

However, I haven't been privvy to all the discussions around this.
I'll catch up with Curtis in the check-point later today.

--
Matthew Revell
Launchpad Product Manager

https://launchpad.net/~matthew.revell