Submitting a patch docs missing info about QA process

Hello,

The documentation on submitting a patch to Launchpad[1] is incomplete.
I've been told by Steven K that contributors are expected to "QA"
their own patch, but that's not listed in the process, and I couldn't
find a description of how to QA on the wiki page.

Further, I was told by someone on IRC that I had to create & link a
bug report so the QA system would work.

I found the QA process docs[2], but they aren't exactly targeted at
the casual contributor. I would be grateful if someone who understands
the process and the intent behind it would write a document aimed at
folks like these.

I have updated the PatchSubmission page, adding instructions to
_always_ link a bug and to do QA. I haven't been able to be clear on
what "doing QA" is though. I am personally unclear on how to tell when
something is ready to QA, and on how to flag the bug when the change
doesn't work as expected but doesn't introduce any significant
problems.

Also, at the risk of derailing this thread, I don't understand why
contributors are trusted to do their own QA but not trusted to do
their own code review.

Thanks,
jml

[1] https://dev.launchpad.net/PatchSubmission