Re: Common mistakes that broke Launchpad’s browser compatibility

On 05/22/2012 11:50 AM, Elliot Murphy wrote:
> Thanks for writing this up!
>
> I am curious if http://saucelabs.com/scouthome would reduce some of
> the pain in setting up the interactive/exploratory testing environment
> for you. As I understand, it will allow you (via tunnel) interactively
> test code running on a developers laptop using 35 different browser/OS
> combinations running on sauce's VMs. They provide 45 minutes free use
> each month, and I'd certainly be happy to authorize Canonical paying
> for a scout subscription for folks doing extensive launchpad
> maintenance/development work - if it works, it would pay for itself in
> terms of setup time.

This helps anyone who wants to look at launchpad.net or qastaging to
verify if a problem exists. It also helps verify a problem is fixed on
qastaging.

I do not think it helps developers. I am running the IE debugger while
executing code from my launchpad.dev instance. In my case, I have hacked
apache to allow anything on my subnet to make a request to my subnet's
IP. I have also hacked Windows to use a similar host file with the
subnet IP to find my dev instance. I also installed my ssl keys in
Windows. I think saucelabs needs to allow us to install a hosts file and
certificates.

/me really wishes that
winetricks ie8
installed a working version of IE 8.