Re: Branch information_type and stacking

On 18/05/12 15:30, Steve Kowalik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Currently, Branch has two fields which determine if the branch is
> private -- explicitly_private and transitively_private. A private is
> explicitly_private if it has been marked as private, and it is
> transitively_private if it itself is public, but is stacked on a private
> branch.
>
> [blah blah blah]

On the call this morning we eliminated the complex rules. While a public
branch probably shouldn't be stacked on a private branch (it's unlikely
to ever be done except by mistake, and the branch won't be usable unless
the stacked-on is accessible), there's no reason that the information
types have to match exactly.

So the new rule is this: when stacked-on changes, if the new stacked-on
is private but the stacked branch is public, the stacked branch inherits
the stacked-on branch's information type. This probably has to propagate
down through the tree, but we never need to change a private information
type; we just have to ensure that any with a public information type are
changed to a private one.