Re: Does our DB retry code need tweaks for the PG 9.1 upgrade?

Hi Stuart,

On 12-06-01 06:16 PM, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Francis J. Lacoste
> <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Stuart,
>>
>> Ok, thanks for the clarifications. Do you have time to handle this bug,
>> or should I ask the maintenance team to have a go at it?
>
> Its several bugs.
>
> I won't be much help diagnosing why TCP connections are dying.

Fair enough.

> I can backport and get pgbouncer updated if we want to try this.
> Swapping it in will chew up a FDT slot.

That's fine, let's go forward with this first.

> I think there is a Storm bug, although others disagree. I'm not sure
> why a socket going tits up is different from any other sort of
> disconnection. At the moment, I think when the TCP connection fails
> like this Storm doesn't reset the connection so subsequent requests
> will also fail (it will probably get an exception it does handle
> eventually, so the connection reopening will happen). I can fix this
> if I can convince people it is a bug - a few of us on the team have
> adjusted this code before as the rarer types of failed connections
> have been discovered or changed due to updates.

I'd agree with you. If the normal recovery after that kind of error is
to reconnect and try again, Storm should do this.

>> Do we have a RT for the pgbouncer upgrade yet?
>
> No. We haven't the newer version on staging yet either. Is this
> happening enough to panic over and skip staging? I expect the
> Librarian has been restarted as part of our regular code updates which
> should clean out  the more esoteric issues.

It's happening enough to stress out some important customers, but not
enough to skip staging. Let's update staging and production once we know
this works.

Cheers