Re: Do we need the lazr namespace in our javascript?

> 2) I have a dream! With the combo loader moving forward, and getting
> standardized throughout the various apps we do, I have a dream of shared
> modules much like the Yahoo Gallery. Where we'd have builds of modules that
> go out and can be shared, updated, and documented together.

This is actually how we used to work. the lazr namespace is left over
from that package ( https://launchpad.net/lazr-js).

This issue was that this created a lot of overhead (extra package
management, forks of widgets, hard to know where code should live etc.)
and no real benefit as, except for a couple of widgets, no-one else was
actually using the "shared" codebase.

> We've recently seen cribbing of modules (like the morph animation module)
> into multiple apps. I had to update the API for one app, but it's just not
> going to happen that I then push that back from where we cribbed the morph
> module from. I could definitely see us re-puposing the lazr namespace as
> something to share modules between. It'd be our version of the yahoo
> 'gallery-' prefix to modules that are not from Yahoo, but shared through
> their gallery.

When we pulled the external dependency into Launchpad we discussed that
YUI and yui-gallery should be considered our upstreams. I still think
this is a good idea, in that it would force us to write extensible,
clean, documented widgets and it will mean that we'll be properly
contributing back to the open source YUI community.

Cheers,

Huw