Re: Private Projects checkpoing notes - 2012-09-26

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Chris Johnston
<chrisjohnston@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/01/2012 12:35 PM, Deryck Hodge wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Chris Johnston
>> <chrisjohnston@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> So after having a small side conversation to be brought up to speed as
>>> to what was meant by "Get the sprints blueprints query sorted out" I
>>> have a question to raise. My understanding from Francis is that a
>>> private blueprint will still be allowed to be proposed to a sprint,
>>> just nothing will happen as it will not show up on the sprint query.
>>> This seems like it would lead to a confusing UI by telling the user
>>> that they can do something, but then the user not receiving the
>>> expected result. Am I misunderstanding how this is planned to work, or
>>> it my understanding fairly accurate? If my understanding is accurate,
>>> has anything been thought of to combat this confusing UI that is being
>>> introduced?
>>>

>> A private blueprint will show up for people who can view it. This
>> works like any other private object on Launchpad. If you have
>> permission to view the object, then it will show up in your view of
>> the list, but if I do not, then it will not show up in my view.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> deryck
>>
> Deryck,
>
> One of the points of something being on a sprint is for Summit to create
> a meeting out of the blueprint. So this still seems to lead the same
> question. Summit doesn't have permission to see it, so the expected
> result of "add blueprint to UDS sprint to create meeting" still fails
> unless I am missing something.

Yeah, I'm not saying a summit *should* have a private blueprint.  I
don't think it makes sense normally.  But if someone does manage a
commercial, private project on Launchpad, creates a private blueprint,
and links it to the coming UDS, the system won't fail now.  That was
the point of fixing the query.

Now to the larger question of should private blueprints even allow
links to sprints, that is a debatable point.  I've argued both sides
myself in recents weeks.  But we knew there are folks at UDS with
commercial subscriptions to Launchpad, and we could imagine there are
cases where those folks might want to privately discuss something and
track that in a blueprint as well as that blueprint's connection to
UDS.

This won't be the common case, and people shouldn't do this unless the
circumstances call for it.  But if they do, Launchpad handles the
situation gracefully now.

Cheers,
deryck

--