Re: Considering change of Architecture: all builders for next release cycle

On 6 October 2014 03:29, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 05, 2014, at 04:28 PM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>
>>Would now also be a good time to look through the archive and assess the
>>various arch:all packages that do not explicitly declare themselves as
>>Multi-Arch:foreign (and thus not installable as dependencies of foreign
>>architecture packages?)  Is there a reason for any such arch:all package to
>>not declare this field at this point?
>
> If that were the case, why would it not just be automatic?

Original multi-arch spec did not resolve arch:specific transitive
dependencies behind arch:all packages. For example, an arch:all
python-foo which depends on python-pycurl needs not just
any-architecture python-pycurl but the one that matches the
architecture of the interpreter. There were further BOFs, discussions,
proposals and solutions to this but I don't think this has been fully
implemented for each interpreter yet.
But in general, yes, e.g. all fonts, docs, locales, etc. packages
should declare M-A:foreign

--
Regards,

Dimitri.