launchpad-translations-coordinators team mailing list archive

Re: Raw glossary merge

Il giorno sab, 24/01/2009 alle 01.18 +0200, Adi Roiban ha scritto:
> I'm happy to talk about the glossary.
>
> I was thinking about this topic and I think we will need both a glossary
> and a terminology dictionary.
>
> The Glossary should be useful for users and the documentation team
> The terminology should be useful for translators.

Yeah, that was the big plan: the glossary and the common phrase
collection (+ the evaluation test).

> From what I see Gnome is using a similar approach. Not all terms have a
> definition.

I don't know if it's deliberate... that glossary, if I'm not wrong, has
been unmaintained for a long time, and probably it's not even easy to
maintain right now.

> Right now I'm not happy with the way we suppose to edit the glossary.
>
> I am more happy with the wiki approach or any other "agile" method.

I understand your point, but it depends on what we want to do with the
glossary. If we want it to be linked from Launchpad, I think we need an
XML document of some sort (Danilo can prove me wrong here), working with
the wiki it's super-easy, but exporting into XML is a super-pain:
- Ubuntu's wiki isn't working with the Docbook export function
- We need to copy the page into another wiki (at UDS I did it with
http://moinmo.in/)
- What you get from moinmoin is a one line (not formatted) XML file
that's basically unmaintainable if you want to edit it, and with such a
huge thing like GNOME's... I would rather split the glossary into a book
with each letter in its own chapter (even if it's not going to be
trivial with translations and languages that have different letters...)

Really, from my POV, it depends on what we want to do with the glossary.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>