launchpad-translations-coordinators team mailing list archive

Re: Redundant language variants & the translation group

Hello Jeroen,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That made me wonder: should this be solved within the translation group?
>  Right now a translation group decides which languages it can and cannot
> manage translations for, but maybe it should also be responsible for
> identifying a third set: languages that it thinks are redundant and should
> not have translations.  It would decide things like “our Spanish
> translations also cover Mexico, so if you let us manage your translations,
> there is no es_MX.”  And it could enforce those decisions by selecting an
> empty “translation team” for those languages.

I've gone through the Launchpad question you linked, and weighed a
little bit this proposal.
It does make sense. I do not know Launchpad internals, but it
definitely looks better to have these kind of dumb teams and clean up
the database once, rather then having to do it even occasionally, but
still from time to time.

The only question that we might face is how we decide that a team
should be a dumb team, or what to do with those variants in case
somebody comes and want to translate into that language variant. We
will have to decide case by case probably, but that is not a real
problem in the way for the creation of the dumb translation group.

> There are drawbacks:
>
>  - A project with Restricted permissions will suddenly seem to accept
> suggestions for these languages.
>
> But if right now we're not seeing good, complete translations for these
> unwanted languages, that suggests that there won't be a lot of
> disappointment about this either.  We could use a dummy translation team
> with a name like “Nobody — Do Not Translate.”

True, but even right now, people can stop by Launchpad, leave
translations, and then go away.
It is a problem with probably all the translation teams: it is not
optimal because maybe people are wasting time, but we have links to
the guidelines at the top of the page, and in the case of the dumb
teams, we will have to write something in the team page that tells why
the team exists and who to contact in case.

>  - If any Structured project does make use of its ability to translate these
> languages without the translation group, it loses that ability.
>
> Do we know of this happening anywhere?

About this last point, I have not seen it happening right now, or if
it is happening, I have no idea where.

A question I have: is it possible to create these teams automatically
via Launchpad? Or do we have to do it manually?

Ciao!

--
Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>