Re: [Launchpad-users] Chromium browser now translatable in Launchpad

On 2010-12-11 22:18, Khaled Hosny wrote:

Sorry if I offended any one, my comment was about making chromium the
default browser, not directed to any ones comment, sorry again. I'm not
a native English speaker either, so I didn't realise how strong the
words I used.

The choice of default browser for Ubuntu is made somewhere else, as far as I know, not by the people involved here.

That said, what you say here is very important:

My concern is that chromium on Linux, unlike on Windows, has serious RTL
and complex text layout issues, all have been reported for months now,
and not yet fixed, so replacing a browser with excellent language
support with a broken one is a step backwards and whoever is taking that
decision should consider that.

That's true—Chromium fails horribly at displaying various languages. A lot of bugs have been filed, but until they are fixed the browser is not ready for a worldwide audience.

One of the bugs I saw on Google's issue tracker may shed some light on the problem: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=39190

This suggests that font spacing breaks on GNU/Linux systems with fonts that do not have the "x" character.

Jeroen