Re: [Nova] Translators, start your engines...

Hi Jay,

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 19:37, Jay Pipes <jaypipes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello translators!
>
> I'm a contributor working on the set of OpenStack projects
> (http://launchpad.net/openstack). I've just completed i18n'ing the
> Nova subproject (http://launchpad.net/nova) and have a couple
> questions for this list.
>
> Question 1: How do I add more languages to the set of languages to be
> translated?
>
> I see only Japanese on our list of translations here:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/nova/trunk/+pots/nova
>
> How can I add more languages for people to translate into? Or does the
> translator have to do that?

As already other translators have answered, this is done automagically
as soon as someone for a particular language goes in to translate your
project. No need to worry about that.

I saw that you chose an "open" permission for your translations: this
could be a good idea for the beginning, if you want more people to get
involve and a lot of new languages coming in. The drawback here is
that usually translations tend to be of a low quality if they are not
under a little bit of control by approved translation teams.

I would like to suggest you to read also the description of the other
policies [1], and maybe in the future consider to move your project to
a "structured" policy.

> Question 2: I *think* I've set up the automatic translation
> import/export correctly, but I was hoping someone from this list with
> experience could double-check I've got it right.
>
> Reading the docs, I set up a branch called
> lp:~nova-core/nova/translations and set the trunk branch lp:nova to be
> the exporting branch. Is this correct?

I'm not 100% sure, last time I did this was a while back for another
project, but yes, you should be ready to go.

Also, as others said, if you could give us a little description of the
project, that would be much appreciated.

Ciao.

[1] https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/PermissionPolicies

--
Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>