Re: [Nova] Translators, start your engines...

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> By the way, if you mention what the programme is good for (what is
> nova, in one sentence), then I can forward more than just the
> programme name to our translators' mailing list.  The project
> description is "Nova is a cloud computing fabric controller (the main
> part of an IaaS system). It is written in Python.", and I don't think
> any of our translators can figure out what that means.

Hi!

Actually, I wasn't actually asking for assistance in translating Nova,
but I could certainly use all the help I could get! :) I was just
wondering how the translations system worked for adding new languages
there and whether I had set up the configuration for translations
properly?

For all translators who might be interested in translating strings for
Nova, I welcome your assistance! Let me tell you a little about Nova.

Nova is a sub-project of the OpenStack cloud-computing super-project;
it is the "fabric" of the cloud.

By "fabric", what we mean is that Nova provides the "glue" that holds
the many parts of a cloud infrastructure together:

* network controllers
* compute controllers
* schedulers
* volume managers
* authentication controllers
* much more

Nova has an API that speaks two "flavours": the Amazon EC2 API and the
OpenStack API, which right now, looks very similar to the Rackspace
Cloud Servers 1.0 API. These APIs enable callers to control the cloud
by:

* Adding new projects, users, user security groups
* Adding new instances. Instances are virtual machines running on
actual physical hosts
* Add networks for projects and users
* Upload new images (snapshots of a running virtual machine or "golden
images", which are virtual machines that contain a "clean" stack of
programs)

We have documentation about Nova here:

http://nova.openstack.org

Please don't hesitate to email me questions about Nova and/or join our
mailing list to ask questions:

http://launchpad.net/openstack

Thank you all!
-jay