Re: 11 new strings in BleachBit 0.8.7

> > There are new strings for BleachBit 0.8.7.  Thank you in advance!
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > A question about this string: "Reset the search engine usage history and
> > delete non-factory search engines, some of which are added automatically"
> >
> > What is a "non-factory search engine" in this context? I never saw this
> > expression before (neither do Google it seems ;-))
> > Is it just a non-used search engine?
>
> These pages explains a little
> https://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95653
> https://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95426
>
> By "factory," I mean that Google Chrome comes with search engines for
> Google, Bing, Yahoo, and maybe one other (?), and the browser lets the
> user which is the default.  These 3-4 initial search engines are the
> "factory" where the word "factory" is similar to "factory settings."
>
> Later as the user visits web sites, the browser automatically adds
> additional search engines such as Youtube, CNN, etc.  These are the
> non-factory search engines.

Hmm, indeed.
I don't know why, I just thought a "non-factory search engine" was a
kind of expression or a brand new web technology. ^^
Now it seems obvious that it's "factory" as in "factory settings" and so
my question seems a bit dumb now...

Sorry! :)

> If you have an idea for a better English string, I will consider it
> (but probably not for 0.8.7---see below).

Well, as I just demonstrated, I may not be very useful here :)
If the current string seems fine to a native speaker, there is no
problem I guess.

> > As a side request, it would be cool if you could provide a ppa with
> > daily-builds of BleachBit for Ubuntu, so that we can test our translations
> > with the very latest code without needing to pull from VCS (this may require
> > a more regular import from VCS to Bazaar).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion: I will think about it.
>
> What I do now is freeze the strings, so the beta version will look
> just like the final.  As far as I remember, I have never broken the
> string freeze.  Version 0.8.6 was unique because there was no beta
> version and because it was released so quickly, so the final version
> had two untranslated strings for most languages.

Ok, nice to know.

Best regards,
Nicolas