Re: Website hosting for open source projects on Launchpad?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:13:22 -0500
Karl Fogel <karl.fogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As you might imagine, this has been discussed (a lot) by the Launchpad
> developers.  I suspect the reason it hasn't happened yet is just the
> design complications -- how to offer semi-arbitrary web-editing while
> at the same time preserving a consistent look-and-feel in Launchpad,
> and making sure that Launchpad's features stay accessible from each
> project. This doesn't mean it's impossible, just hard.

I'd think that people would rather not like that.  The idea behind
webspace would be to have completely arbitrary sites.

That said, while I cannot speak for everyone that would use such a
service, I would not be opposed to some mandatory linking if it weren't
terribly over the time.  For example, SF requires that you have an
image that links back to their site.  LP could do the same thing.

LP could even expose some sort of API that could be used to quickly and
easily embed information about the Launchpad project on the site,
though I think it'd be too much to require that it be used.  I also
think that imposing look-and-feel requirements would be a bit much,
since each project is naturally going to have its own identity.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/