Re: Anonymous users changing other user profiles

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 17:22 -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 08:37:11PM +0100, TJ wrote:
> > Now that might be okay if the user has signed the Ubuntu code of conduct
> > and so forth, but the user that altered my profile is anonymous - the
> > account details show the account was created today, has no relationship
> > with any Ubuntu or Launchpad projects or teams, and no contact details.
>
> Yeah, it is a good point. I wonder if we could get the effect you want
> without the complication in implementation (a review process for
> location changes) simply by disallowing changes from people with zero
> karma. In your case it would have fixed things -- unless the user
> figured that out and worked around it, which is actually quite a bit of
> work.

I think a different approach is better. Hasn't it been long enough that
most interesting people should have their location set? New users will
hopefully be told to set their location soon after account creation.
This means that there is little opportunity for anybody to be able to
set the location any more - why not just remove the functionality? It
might have been useful for the first few months when most people had no
data set.

> Note also that we're doing work to get anonymous users (which mostly
> come in for ShipIt via OpenID) to no longer have directly valid
> Launchpad accounts. I guess this might not help in your specific case.

I've noticed that happening - do they automatically get a Person when
they log into Launchpad proper?

--
William Grant