Re: bzr checkout lp?

Mike Rooney wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Andrew Bennetts
> <andrew.bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:andrew.bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
> wrote:
>
>     On the other hand, it's not hard to generate a second SSH keypair
>     and register
>     it with your Launchpad account.  That's what I'd do in this situation.
>

> Have you tried to do this on a fresh Windows install, and then get
> bazaar to recognize it? I gave up after about 20 minutes, and really all
> I wanted to do was checkout publicly available code. It may be quite
> simple for intermediate-advanced users in the linux world, but I
> challenge your assertion in the general case :)
>

>     You can also delete the launchpad_username line from your
>     bazaar.conf, which
>     should make lp: URLs resolve to HTTP rather than bzr+ssh
>     automatically; i.e.. if
>     you don't have an SSH key on a machine, don't use "bzr launchpad-login".
>

> I personally have not had luck with this, I have tried clearing out my
> launchpad-login and whoami to no avail in these situations.
>
> In the end I totally gave up, I think I had to check it out from my
> Linux box and email to myself, then log in to my email and download it
> on the Windows machine.
>
> While I definitely appreciate your acknowledgement of the issue, overall
> I think this can really be a bigger obstruction than people familiar
> with the internals of bzr (and as such the workarounds) realize.

++

Honestly, any instructions that include:

- just edit your ____ and remove the line that says ____ and you should
be fine
or
- just generate a new SSH key

when we're talking about grabbing a copy of publicly available code are
too much. Surprisingly many people don't even know how to make their
first SSH key (although I find that sad) and they shouldn't have to
clear that hurdle to get a copy of something. What's more likely to
happen is that they will just give up.

bzr prints an error here ... it would be great if the exception could be
caught and another transport be tried - or that http was the default for
all fetching operations given an lp: transport perhaps? Is ssh quicker
for some reason for this?

Monty