Re: Upstream access to Ubuntu package bugs

On Thursday 06 September 2007 19:49:27 Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> We already synchronize status from the KDE bug tracker, which allows
> Launchpad watches on KDE bugs to be updated. Part of the problem Sarah
> is pointing out is that there are many Ubuntu-reported bugs that are
> actually upstream, and that upstream is offering to triage them for us.

There are also bugs that are only reported in Ubuntu and never properly
forwarded upstream - it just takes effort to do this, so we should be very
happy if upstream developers would like to help and do bug triage directly on
Ubuntu bug database. Lot's of upstream projects value the reach Ubuntu has
and this is why they are using LP directly (more and more). And I think we
should make it easier to do so, not harder.
I would also like to point out that many upstream projects may not have proper
bug tracking tool (some use mailing lists), even less integration of their
bug tracking into LP bug watch feature. Good example of such projects are
packages that are created from KDE-Apps.org site: many projects there are
available in Ubuntu as package but they do not use KDE infrastructure for
bugs or source code. If they start to use LP for Ubuntu bug triage, they
might see other benefits of LP infrastructure and may register they project
on LP, start using BZR...

> I certainly disagree with this being anything but triage -- for
> instance, if the bug has been fixed upstream, it should remain open
> in Ubuntu until a new package is made available. However, for the first
> half of the triage process (i.e. from New to Confirmed) the statuses are
> similar.

I understand your concern about Fix Released (which should be only set when
fixed package is uploaded in Ubuntu), but I do not see problem with other
states.

> The question for me is what specifically are these triagers find to be
> problems? What would they like to do which they currently can't?

They need to join Ubuntu QA group and even to do that, somebody need to tell
them to do so. Since they have very limited interest (package or some
packages), it would make sense to provide an option to configure LP users
that are official triagers for the specific package. That way, Ubuntu QA
members (or any other authority) could assign official triaggers to specific
package.

Regards,
Luka