Re: PPA: status: dependency wait - why isn't it automatically requeued?

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 11:42 +0200, Michael Haas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> following a suggestion on this list, I created a versioned build-depend
> for my "mythplugins" package to make sure it's built against the current
> version of libmyth-dev, which was basically uploaded in the same batch.
> Without this build-depend, mythplugins would usually build against an
> outdated version version of libmyth-dev instead of waiting for the most
> recent version to show up on the PPA.

Yeah, I installed mythtv packages from your PPA and discovered that
problem. The configuration screens of plugins like mythvideo would
complain about libmyth version conflict. I've been trying to build the
binary packages on my own system starting from your source packages to
learn about the process and try to figure out how to make it work
correctly.

I noticed that you have a ">=" libmyth-dev dependency. Since all mythtv
components must be built against the same library version, shouldn't
that test be "="? I'm very new to Ubuntu packaging, so I could be
completely wrong. I'm struggling to put together the plethora of tools
for modifying, building, signing, and distributing packages. It's
surprisingly complex. I'd written and modified a number of Gentoo
packages before I started using Ubuntu, so I was suprised to find that
it's a lot harder to get started in the Debian way of packaging, though
the result is an easier to maintain system.
--
Jonathan Rogers <jonner@xxxxxxxxxx>