Re: Use of Launchpad for a Project

Hi Charlie!

Charlie Poole wrote:
> I'm planning for the next release of NUnit with a group of users and
> contributors and one topic that has come up is selecting a new site to host
> the project. Someone suggested Launchpad so I took a look at what's
> available online and it looks interesting.

Thanks! NUnit is a great project, thank you for working on it. We're
glad you are looking at Launchpad for hosting NUnit.

> I have a couple of questions:
>
> NUnit targets .NET as well as Mono - and any other CLR implementation that
> manages to reach a reasonable level of completeness. That means we will
> continue to produce packages for Windows as well as Linux. What do folks
> think about hosting a projet that targets proprietary as well as open source
> platforms on Launchpad? Is anyone else doing it?

Yes, many of the projects on Launchpad are cross platform, and NUnit
would be welcome.

> What about builds? Do people generally set up build farms on whatever
> servers they can and just grab the appropriate branch for the build?

Yes, this is typically how it works. In addition, we've recently added a
feature in Launchpad called Personal Packages Archives that is intended
to make it easier to do testing builds of Ubuntu packages.

> How easy would it be for potential contributors who are on the Windows
> platform to set up a branch and work on what interests them?

I think it would be very easy indeed. The Bazaar version control system
has been written to work well across many platforms, and I use it on
Windows myself. I don't think we currently have instructions written for
Windows users that explain how to set up an SSH key on Windows for
pushing branches up to Launchpad, but it will definitely work. If you
get stuck, let me know and we'll figure it out.

> What's a good way for me to get a feel for how Launchpad works before moving
> my whole project to it?

The best way to do that would be to get you to use our staging server,
where you could make changes that would be wiped out the next day. This
week we are using the staging server quite a bit as we do some testing,
but let me know when you are ready to try things out and we'll help get
you set up.

By the way, you can often (depending on your time zone) get real-time
answers from launchpad developers on IRC. We are on the freenode
network, in the #launchpad channel.

--
Elliot "statik" Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/