RE: freemat_3.5-0ubuntu1_source.changes rejected

Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > Indeed, when I read it I thought "Ubuntero", what are they talking
> about?
> > It would be much cleared if it says "you need to sign the Ubuntu code of
> > conduct in order to be able to upload files to your ppa"
> >
> > Perhaps, it would be simpler if one sings the code of conduct as part of
> the
> > launchpad registration process and not as a separated step.
>
> I've reported this as a bug. <http://launchpad.net/bugs/180143>

In fact the required conditions to become "Ubuntero" to perform some actions
in Launchpad are discriminatory, because it requires using tools and
accepting conditions that are not part of every hosted projects.

There's still no easy way to become "Ubuntero", even if we accept the
conditions, except if you are using some Linux distributions (namely Ubuntu)
providing the necessary tools. Launchpad is still not technology-neutral and
still promotes Ubuntu exclusively, excluding also some other free or open
source projects that don't require it and are clearly designed to be open to
many other OS'es (including proprietary ones, without more conditions).

This could be solved if the Launchpad site was hosting itself the necessary
tools or were offering much more open alternatives to authenticate the
signatures of contributors of its hosted projects. It's true that Launchpad
was created by the promoter of the Ubuntu Linux distrib, but Launchpad is
still in itself a proprietary platform with closed sources, whose objectives
do not match perfectly with the advertised intent to "open" its platform to
other open sourced or free projects.