Re: [Fwd: hggdh2 deactivated by matthew.revell]

On 2/25/08, Matthew Revell <matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to explain why we deactivated some people's memberships of
> the beta team. A handful of people joined the beta team and agree to
> use their full real name but, following activation, changed their name
> back to

Any individual should have the freedom/right to choose how they wish
to identify themselves online so why does the beta testing team insist
on keeping a policy which is not friendly, leaves gaping holes as far
as implementation/verification is concerned.

> We're delighted that so many people want to be part of the beta team
> but it's worth remembering that the beta team is optional. If you feel

Its not optional for the fridge-editors (and I had explained myself on
that list and offered to step down) due to the change that we are
going through right now.  I had asked this on the fridge list too but
didnt get a satisfactory reply which actually answered or solved the
problem.

> As for how we'd know whether it's your real name or not: we wouldn't
> other than by trusting you.

That in itself shows the policy has failed to achieve what it
(presumably) sets to do in the first place.

> Presumably, if someone joins the team
> using what appears to be their full, real name then they are happy to
> do so and won't use a false name.

At the risk of repeating myself, one cant solve a social problem with
technology, not always.

Thanks,
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||