Re: [Fwd: hggdh2 deactivated by matthew.revell]

Hi HggdH,

On 22/02/2008, HggdH <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I received the following email today. Given Matthew's position, and
>  given mine, I decided to accept the deactivation, and cancel my
>  subscription in the launchpad-users list.

I'm sorry to that you feel unable to agree to beta team's real names
policy. I'm also sorry that you've chosen to leave the launchpad-users
list. I hope that my email wasn't confusing: the real name policy
applies only to the Launchpad Beta Testers team and not to
launchpad-users or general use of Launchpad.

I'd like to explain why we deactivated some people's memberships of
the beta team. A handful of people joined the beta team and agree to
use their full real name but, following activation, changed their name
back to

>  Now, for a parting, quick, and disgusted comment:
>
>  <rant>
>  Why is it necessary to know our names? If I tell you a name, how will
>  you know it is my name?

We're delighted that so many people want to be part of the beta team
but it's worth remembering that the beta team is optional. If you feel
unable to agree to the two conditions of membership, it doesn't
prevent you from using Launchpad as normal and certainly has no affect
on your participation in Ubuntu or any other project that uses
Launchpad. I'm sorry that we've been unable to accommodate you on this
occasion.

As for how we'd know whether it's your real name or not: we wouldn't
other than by trusting you. Presumably, if someone joins the team
using what appears to be their full, real name then they are happy to
do so and won't use a false name.

> This discussion happened already here [1]. I [2], and some others, did
> not agree with this requirement, and presented some arguments that
> *never* were completely responded to by Canonical.

I remember that thread last year and I'm sorry you felt that we
(Canonical) didn't answer some of the arguments.

>  I expect this to be something that Canonical is going to force
>  throughout, and more and more, I guess, my involvement with Ubuntu will
>  have to decrease.

I don't see anything to suggest that this is going to happen more and
more and there's certainly no element of force. I'm sorry that you're
not happy with the conditions of the Launchpad beta team but the team
is entirely optional.

Thanks.

--
Matthew Revell - talk to me about Launchpad
Join us in #launchpad on irc.freenode.net